We get excited when mold is being defeated. To help you win the battle against mold, we’re sharing a a few “How-To’s” on how to eliminate mold and we are not stopping there! We feel the more tools you have, the less powerful the mold can be.
Listed below is a simple mold prevention checklist. If carried out on a regular and consistent basis, these tasks will help keep mold in check.
Note: While performing these inspections you also help detain certain mold and water related accidents from occurring.
- The first and perhaps the most important practice would be to keep the premises clean, including regularly dusting, vacuuming and mopping.
- Second, scan your ceilings for watermarks as these are evidence of potential roof leaks.
- Next, go in your attic and check the roof wood decking for water intrusion.
- Begin periodically checking your air conditioning vents to be sure they are clean and dry.
- Install an air purification system in the home to maintain good indoor air quality and reduce dust.
- Use a MERV 7 or better HVAC filter that is the Indoor Air Quality Technicians (IAQ) recommendation and change it on a regular basis.
- Preform scheduled maintance on your air conditioning system, including but not limited to, cleaning the evaporator coil.
- Make a point to regularly inspect for leaks under the sinks, around the base of the water closets, around the washing machine and water heater.
- Check all washer hoses. More importantly replace these hoses at least every five years to avoid a major water occurrence.
- Don’t forget to check outside garden hose connections to avoid flooding near your home’s foundation.
This checklist is important, and can be your home’s armor against mold and other harmful bacteria’s. We hope you find this checklist simple and easy enough to complete on a consistent basis. If you have any questions on how to go about completing this checklist, or would like assistance please contact us online or call 901.292.7788.