“Mold isn’t something most people think about until it affects their health, home or business,” said Pete Duncanson. And he should know. Mr. Duncanson serves as Chairman of the Board for the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC). “However, mold spores are found in most homes across the country, and in the right conditions and without the right treatment, mold can quickly grow into a major problem”.
1. MYTH: Bleach will kill mold on any surface.
FACT: Bleach, like most over the counter products, is not recommended for porous surfaces. Although bleach may remove color pigments from mold, making your surface appear clean, it does nothing to destroy the hypha or root system. Porous and semi-porous materials that defeat bleach’s effectiveness include: wood framing, carpet, sheetrock, ceiling tiles and upholstery fabrics. If you have a mold growing on these surfaces, they may need to be replaced to ensure proper remediation.
2. MYTH: Black mold is not hazardous to your health.
FACT: The CDC (Center for Disease Control) confirms that black mold is a known cause of respiratory problems and allergic reactions, amplifies risk for infections, and contributes to a host of other health risks. Memphis Mold Inspector has the proper training and equipment to differentiate toxic “Black Mold” from non-toxic molds.
3. MYTH: Non-Viable mold cannot cause health problems.
FACT: When the moisture source is removed, mold doesn’t die. Instead, it merely enters a dormant state. Even dormant mold can produce and release spores. And. if the moisture issues are not properly eliminated or reoccur, mold can become viable and restart colonization. Indoor Environmental Professionals can help evaluate these issues and recommend proper treatment.
4. MYTH: Mold is the only issue associated with water damage.
FACT: When water damage occurs, it can quickly present many issues for a home or business. Water can cause cosmetic and structural damage, as well as produce viral and bacterial growth. Under certain conditions, mold can start colonization and reproduction in 24-48 hours. Calling a licensed and certified Indoor Environmental Professional again can help avoid any long term problems and get life back to normal.
Memphis Mold Inspector is an Indoor Environmental Professional, licensed and holds several certifications from the IICRC. With our training, experience and credentials we are ready to assess and test homes and businesses during and after any moisture or mold related issues.